Friday, February 20, 2009

New Kid on the Block


Susan and the Pigeon say "Hello."

Hello, blog readers! I’m Susan Baier, the new Library Division Manager of Youth and Extension Services. My husband and I recently relocated to the Bay Area from Los Angeles.

Previously I served as the Youth Services Supervisor for the Torrance Public Library in southwestern Los Angeles County. Despite living in California for the last seven years, I’m still a Midwestern girl at heart. I grew up a coal miner's daughter in a village in Southern Illinois with a whopping population of 400. (I joke that the population is now 399 since I’m gone.) My grandparents spent their entire lives in Southern Illinois, and my parents still haven’t quite forgiven me that I left.

My husband, a St. Louis native, is excited about adopting the Sharks as his new favorite hockey team (but for baseball, he’s a Cardinal fan forever and always.) I am looking forward to scouting out the best places to shop and eat in the South Bay. Have any suggestions? Stop by the youth services desk and tell me!

I consider myself very fortunate to join the staff of this city and this library, and am eager to continue the tradition of superior public service in Santa Clara. The staff is top-notch, and I am thrilled to be a part of such a dedicated, talented team. The library division I supervise includes youth services, Mission Branch, extension services such as homebound delivery, and our adult literacy program Read Santa Clara. You’ll find me performing storytimes and children’s programs, staffing the youth services desk, and discovering ways to even better serve children and their families. I'll also be a frequent visitor to the Mission Branch and participating in their many literacy activities. Wherever you see me (I'm hard to miss because of my red hair, the bane of my existence or my best attribute depending on my mood), please come up and say hello!
posted by spb