Wednesday, December 17, 2008

In My Humbl(y Awesom)e Opinion

Everyone in the world is creating some sort of “best of the year” list right now. Since I’ve run out of real things to write about (if I ever was in the first place), I figured I might as well jump on the bandwagon. So here is the Pretty Good Things of 2008 List (according to me):

Listening to A.J. Jacob’s Year of Living Biblically
I found this book to be inspirational. But inspiration took the form of a rather unfortunate looking beard.

Seeing Tom Waits perform in Phoenix
Oddly enough, seeing Tom Waits perform in Phoenix was also one of the worst things this year. Have you ever wanted to vacation inside a blast furnace? If so, Phoenix is your place.

Reading The Anatomist: The True Story of Gray’s Anatomy by Bill Hayes
After giving up on my med-school aspirations and finding out that you can’t get into a gross anatomy course because you are “just interested,” I’ve had to resort to reading about people going to med-school and taking gross anatomy courses. Turns out, this method is much easier.

Mirroring the movie they starred in, the two main folks who make up this band (Glen Hansard and his ego) really are in love with each other. Marketa Irglova makes occasional guest appearances in their relationship and sings back up.

Seeing a Charlie Chaplin film in an old-timey theater accompanied by someone playing an old-timey piano
I later realized that “old-timey theaters” contain “old-timey seat cushions” (i.e. somewhat rough and splintered wood planks). Perhaps the whole experience was a bit too old-timey.

Going to a Porchlight Series event hosted by Beth Lisick
An excellent show of unmemorized and unrehearsed storytelling. All of the evening's stories revolved around the 7 deadly sins. Take that A.J. Jacobs!

Watching Beirut play at the Herbst Theater
In a weird coincidence, John Hodgman was playing a ukulele (one of Beirut’s main instruments) when I saw him speak at the Herbst a few months later. It should be noted that he is not a musician, and that is why this is odd.
posted by jw