Wednesday, October 22, 2008

...And Boy Are My Arms Tired

A recent experience with an airline carrier (which shall remain nameless) has left me to wonder if they are truly necessary. I mean seriously, we have already had years of experience with cars, boats, and trains. Aren’t we just being greedy with the planes bit? Does one really need to hurtle through the sky at 500 mph? If you ask me: no, one does not (not for those prices at least). Air travel, if you will, is for the birds.

But then again, who am I to badmouth one of human kind’s greatest goals and achievements? In fact, if you really want to get old-school with it, the Tech Museum in San Jose is featuring an exhibit of Leonardo da Vinci’s inventions, one of which is a big, bulky, but ultimately plausible, flying machine.

Now, I know my myths, so I’d probably pass on the whole wearing wings and trying to fly thing. But with airfare the way it is, it’s getting more attractive.

posted by jw