Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Gift of Literacy


“I believe that it does not matter what age you are, you can always learn to read and write. Especially for a person like me who is 59 years old and still learning to read and write. I don’t give up…Without the library program, I would not be where I am today. I have not reached yet where I want to be, but I am getting there.” This was written by an adult learner for Read Santa Clara’s new book of learner writings, In Our Own Words, Volume VII. The library’s adult literacy program trains volunteers to tutor English speaking adults who seek to improve their basic reading, writing and math skills to achieve their goals as family members, workers, community members and lifelong learners. To find out how you can help, please call (408)615-2956.