Monday, November 15, 2010

Did Libraries Save You?

"I am of a fearsome mind to throw my arms around every living librarian who crosses my path on behalf of the souls they never knew they saved," Barbara Kingsolver author of The Lacuna, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, The Bean Trees and more.

Authors for Libraries reminds us of the value of librarians and libraries. Visit the site to hear from more authors and get inspired about the power of libraries to improve the economy by helping turn peoples' lives around, start new businesses, help people improve educational skills and find their future.
Karin Slaughter, author of Broken, says that keeping libraries open and strong is a national security issue. Reading creates a better society. It is vital to a nation's sovereignty.
Mary Roach, author of Packing for Mars: the Curious Science of Life in the Void, says, "It is no exaggeration to say that I could not do what I do without public libraries. I am a long-time abuser of interlibrary loan, which I think of as nothing less than a miracle. The internet is a tease: 'Yes, that old obscure book is out there! But nowhere you can get your hands on it!" Public libraries deliver. I love them strongly."
posted by mb