Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rock 'n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Last summer I waited in a long line at a convention to meet Slash, the famed guitarist from Guns –n- Roses (and the celebrity mentor on this week's episode of American Idol.) As the minutes of the wait stretched into hours, I scoped out the fellow fans. I was shocked at the number of teenagers in line. These kids were born almost ten years after Appetite for Destruction blew up. What was their connection to the music, and to Slash? A little eavesdropping, and I had my answer – Guitar Hero.

Growing up in the rural Midwest in the 70s and 80s, I was embarrassed by the music my parents loved. Now, my iPod is full of Waylon, Willie, Dolly, Johnny, and George. I listened to these classic country artists for countless hours in the car, on my parents' turntable, and on the jukebox in backroad taverns. I didn't appreciate it as a kid, but as an adult this music provides a connection to a past that in many ways I have left far behind. My parents and their music preferences have been vindicated.

I feel a little vindicated myself when today's kids rock out to the songs that meant so much to me when I was their age. Older generations seem smugly satisfied when the music of their youth is embraced by a new generation. It's like their tastes are finally validated, and their favorites finally withstand the test of time. I experienced this recently at a Wii Rock Band program at the library for teens. Kids more than 20 years my junior were jamming to Bon Jovi, KISS, and Judas Priest. I felt strangely proud, as if this music was something deeply personal I was sharing with the kids. Even better - they liked it! They seemed to enjoy the rock classics more than contemporary selections by bands such as Fall Out Boy. (I knew Santa Clarans had good taste!)

I love how gaming technology allows these songs to be experienced by new generations in a completely different, participatory way. I'm awed that music that defined my blue collar, rural Midwestern youth is still appreciated decades later by high tech, Silicon Valley kids whose parents immigrated here from across the globe. The music transcends our differences in age, culture, and experience.

Gaming in the library isn’t without controversy. Some lament that teens have to be lured to the library with video games, and since when are books not enough? In my experience, teens attending gaming programs are already library users. If they weren’t, maybe somewhere in between the Wii and the snacks the librarian can turn them on to the perfect book. And if the worst thing that happens is that teens discover the library offers cool activities and employs librarians who care about them and their interests? I'm okay with that, too.

I totally crashed the teen Wii event, and the participants were kind enough to indulge me. I couldn't resist grabbing the microphone to belt out a few blasts from my past. I'm sure the teens thought "would the old lady stop hogging the mic already?" but they were polite enough to not say it to my face. I had a ball, and didn't hesitate in making my song choices known.

“Let’s do Enter Sandman, guys!” This was met with a chorus of approval, and I was beaming. Santa Clara library teens are the most awesome teens ever – they dig Metallica! Then one boy burst my bubble, and told me we had to successfully complete several levels in the game to earn the privilege of getting our rock god on.

Being a responsible adult who models appropriate behavior to youth, I proposed a solution.

“Can’t you kids go online to find one of those cheat codes that I hear you talk about?”

A few minutes later, our band played on. It was a total rock and roll moment.

PS: Calling Miley Cyrus a Guitar Hero may be sacrilegious to some, but you can't deny her impact on today's music scene. There's still time to sign up the kiddos for the Hannah Montana karaoke party on Monday, May 11 at 4 pm in the Central Library's Redwood Room. Call 408-615-2961 to reserve a spot.
posted by spb